Tuesday, April 26, 2011

3 Weeks Left in Singapore

As I write this I have:


That is until my last exam on May 12th, coincidentally also my last day in Singapore. It is crazy how fast time has flown by! Since moving into to residence over three months ago, Singapore has become more than just a travel destination, it has become my home. I am proud to say that I am a PR of this country, own a student's pass and can skip the line in the airport where the "foreigners" have to wait. One in two times at the airport I am  told "excuse me miss, can you queue in this line," by airport security while pointing to the large line-up of those getting entry visas. I quickly retort "umm...I live in Singapore, PR."  Security staff at the airport always seem surprised when the group of backpackers with blonde hair and a tan whip out their student passes and scan their fingerprints at the Singaporean entry gates.


Other than being proud to skip the line (as it clearly has its perks), I am in love with this country for a number of other reasons. In fact last night I told my mother that if I had planned better I would be staying in Singapore this summer for an internship here because I can see myself living here so easily. Although it is not in my cards for this summer, hopefully one day I can return to Asia and live in Singapore again. It is a expensive city to live in (other than if you are a student as everything is subsidized) so I would need a great job to be able to do so!

My Student Pass -  Fingerprint and all!

Here are a few top reasons explaining why I love living in Singapore:

1) It is efficient.
I would have never listed this as a desirable quality about a city/country until I lived in Singapore. The MRT and bus system in Singapore is so much more advanced than the TTC it is comical. When you are waiting for the trains, there are lines instructing you where to wait on the sides of where the doors will open when the train arrives. Few people pay in cash for the MRT buses or trains, using their "Easy-Link" tap on/off cash cards instead.  The train system is fast, and there is a variety of lines to get you across the city.
MRT SLANG: "q" means queue or line up and they also say please "alight"
or get off at the next station and tell you which door to use.

Beautiful Indian Women on the MRT
Helping you cram on the trains in an organized way!

2) It is clean.
Singapore is known for its strictness. You cannot litter and gum is illegal so that people do not spit it out on the streets. You cannot buy gum anywhere here although you can sneak some across the border if you really want it without a problem. I have to say however, Asia is very behind in terms of the "Green" movement. I hate that they do not recycle everywhere and they always give you a plastic bag for your bag. I am not kidding you honestly get a bag for your to-go coffee mug or bag of fruit. It makes no sense and every store or canteen (food stall) staff always seem flustered when I say no bag because everyone seems to take them.



3) You can try everything
I love how diverse the options are for food. You can honestly try any type of Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern food as well as get your favourite local things downtown. The country is fairly western-ized downtown and has a lot of touristy places to eat. It is more expensive however to eat this way as a subway sandwich costs $6 SG but chicken rice with vegetable curry costs $3 SG.

4) Everything is so gosh darn cute!
Just look at the photo booth pictures my friends and I took. I have become a huge fan of stickers and Hello Kitty since arriving here. My favourite snack also is Hello Panda, cute little cookies with various sweet fillings. Oh also, the funny English translations make me laugh a lot. The city is bright and colorful too!







5) You can drink in public

I am lucky because I travel often, ensuring that I always stock up on duty free. Alcohol is very expensive in Singapore. Although we seem to avoid this problem by not drinking at restaurants and going out on Wednesday nights when girl drinks are usually free or you get one or two drink coupons to simply go into certain bars.


This picture is of the Clark Quay bridge. It is where you will find all the young adults drinking before hitting up some of Singapore's nicest or coolest clubs. There is no laws against open containers here!!!


6) Although people are shy, they are so helpful if you can get them to talk to you.
A lot of the local students and people in public are awkward if you say "hello, how are you ?" while waiting for the bus like you would at home. However, if you are ever lost or need a hand, Singaporeans are very kind and are glad to help you. I have been lost numerous times and been walked to my destination by complete strangers. I also have been ignored because they have been shy. Even my next door neighbors keep to themselves and seem rather shy towards me. I guess it is simply a different culture, and that I am a chatty cathy!

7) Its beautiful and tropical.


Not only is it 35 degrees with a nice costal breeze everyday, there are incredible flowers everywhere and big beautiful rain trees. The buildings around my campus make me feel like I am walking around a resort.

The buildings downtown are beautiful, I really like how they made their water marinas - boat quay and clarke quay such big tourist attractions.  Even the buildings are nicely designed too.
Here is the inside of a mall downtown, with a huge water fountain!

I love Singapore for a lot of reasons. I think I love it best however for where it is located. I have been able to see 7 countries because Singapore is such a central hub of SE Asia with a large airport. It is safe and clean and a great place to call home. I will definitely be sad when I have to move out, but I know I will come back one day because it is a city I can see myself living in. Who knows maybe one day I will live and work here...

No comments:

Post a Comment