Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A week in Singapore

 GARETH EMERY

On Saturday night there was a big event at Zouk, one of the other biggest clubs in Singapore. A DJ, Gareth Emery was playing so it wasn't free like ladies night but it was still a great time. We all gathered at residence before heading in cabs downtown to the club. Apparently Zouk is actually 4 clubs in 1! It looked huge from the outside although we only went into the part where the show was.

our "cool" and phone charms (mine is the white Hello Kitty)
We stood front row  for about 2 hours until we were deaf

Although I had no clue who Gareth was the club was so busy with exchange students and locals that it didn't matter really about the music as the vibe was awesome. We stayed out late enough to get McDonalds for what others may call breakfast. http://www.garethemery.com/


 LATER THAT WEEK

I had my second week of classes but that is boring and there is no point in discussing how I had 16 hours of class..sooo here are some other highlights.

ABL

The Asian Basketball League is a little different than the NBA. My friends and I met one of the players on Saturday night through our American friend H who was a college athlete with him. Marcus Skinner, the player from the Slingers got us tickets to his game on Tuesday night so 6 of us travelled across the country for the game. (Travelling across the country is 45 minutes on the MRT).


The tickets were supposed to be $9 each but because we were late and we had connections we all got in for free. The crowd wasn't so huge, but everyone there was very into it.



AROUND CAMPUS

During the week, my friends and I find ourselves still figuring out what to eat and how to not get lost. NTU has a huge campus and because it is also so hot, no one walks far distances. There is a shuttle service around 3 different loops of the campus. I am still shocked how many local students wear pants and cute sweaters when it is clearly over 30 degrees outside. It appears that every guy is well dressed in khaki pants or jeans and cool shoes and the girls all wear hip outfits and even heels to class. Everyday I find myself a little late for class because its so far across campus and once I settled in my lecture seat I realise I am freezing as there is so much 'aircon' it feels like winter. As I have earlier mentioned, everyone here is very fit and always busy. At night everyone goes for jogs it seems or has cheerleading/dance/ or another sport practise. I feel quite lazy but honestly it is too hot even at night for me still. I would go to the gym but it is smaller than my elemetary school classroom - which explains why everyone is always outside.


A funny story from this week is when i ordered hot chocolate to go one night. I had just bought my new Hello Kitty sweater and I was given my hot chocolate in a plastic bag with a string and straw. This appears to be a trend here as everything is bagged. It is just so funny when you get this though because how they heck do you rest a plastic bag with hot liquid on a table?

No comments:

Post a Comment