Thursday, January 27, 2011

The "School" aspect of NTU

I am at Nanyang Technological University as an exchange student from UWO. I applied to NTU because of Singapore's location as a travel hub of South East Asia but also because of the communications classes offered here. The school is really advanced in researching and a lot of the exchange students are here for engineering and business. MIT at UWO allows us to take communication classes here from the Wee Kim Wee School of Communications.

While I am studying at NTU I am taking 4 classes which is 16 hours of lectures and tutorials (even more than I had in Canada). So far I am really excited for my classes. I am taking Speech and Argumentation, Creative Practices and New Technologies,  Advertising Creativity and Copywriting and Creative Strategies. These all sound similar as they are all marketing and advertising classes. Each one is specific in different areas however, and I really am looking forward to the Creative Strategies class as I won the first advertising challenge where we had to design an ad concept in the first tutorial.

My professors for these classes are from all over the world with various professional and academic backgrounds. I think what makes these classes so interesting is that these professors all did not start out as just an academics they used their knowledge in the workforce. For example my New Technologies professor worked for a TV production company in Taiwan and my Creative strategies prof is from England and worked ad a big ad firm.

I know that what I learn at NTU will drastically change my perspective on media, technologies, and marketing and I am eager to learn. Although it may not seem like it with my travel ambitions the school here is definitely what makes being an exchange student so awesome. Also all the people I meet in class and around campus are so friendly and wonderful. I love the "garden campus of NTU." Here are some of my favourite pictures so far from around campus.

 The Chinese Heritage Museum on Campus

The pool

Outside the comm. building there is the cutest lil palm trees
 My new favourite snack

 Something that's Canadian on campus...so strange that we are famous for pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment