Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SENTOSA ISLAND!!!

SUNDAY

On Sunday, a big group of exchange students decided to enjoy the sun and go to Sentosa island. Some went by MRT but my friends and I cabbed as it is faster (for nearly $26 which included the $3 fee to use the island) we got there fairly quickly. Sentosa is a small island connected to singapore by a causeway (for cars and buses), cable car, train and of course by ferry.  According to wikipedia (yes, I did wikipedia it) "sentosa" is a malay word that means peace and tranquillity. The island has a lot of tourist attractions such as bungee jumping, zipliner, constant wave surfing machines, expensive bars and restaurants ect.


The chairlift / luge ride

When you get there you go through gates and pass by the universal studios that was just built. The island is very touristy and very expensive but only if you choose it to be. You can easily pack a lunch and your own alcohol instead of buying a $16 dollar mixed drink.

 My first step on sand!

The sand and even the island itself is considered man-made. I think everything was imported there and people say that if you knock on the rocks in the harbor even they are hollow. If you can see, in the distance the whole time you are on the island you can see the big ships near all the ports. Singapore became an "Asian Tiger" country because it is such a successful port for Asia and the world.

Although it is weird to think the island is fake, because at first it all seems so real and beautiful it does not matter. By the end I figured I didn't care though as it still was real sand just not naturally there and still a great place!


 On the beach
 All the exchange students met up on the beach and had a great afternoon of frisbee and getting to know each other. I even played a game of throw the water bottle with an Indian family in the water.The sun was not unbearable at all and the water was quite nice. Next time we go we will bring more snacks though! 




 Our new friends from NTU on the beach



 Friends from all over the world

 This little temple area is the southern most point in continental Asia



It was all in all a great day. I can not wait to return and spend more time there. I can't believe that not very long ago I was in the cold Canadian winter. It is so beautiful and tropical here that seems like such a distant past. I may love winter but I can certainly get used to this!











No comments:

Post a Comment