Monday, January 17, 2011

IM IN ASIA!!!!

Welcome to Asia


After nearly 20 hours in an airplane, I really feel exhausted from traveling around the world. It only took 3 movies, a bunch of TV shows, a layover, 2 magazines, and a bag of candy for me to be here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I am excited and tired.

It does not seem real to think that I am actually here in Asia and won’t be going home for quite some time.


The Flight:


I left Friday night to Pearson airport with my mom’s friend and their family, as well as my family and boyfriend. It was a sad goodbye with a lot of mixed emotions. The flight was direct for 15 hours from Toronto to Hong Kong. It was a big 777 jet and somehow I lucked out and got not only a window seat but extra sleeping room as the seat beside was never filled.

The flight left at 1 am Saturday morning and I stayed awake for a while to facilitate adapting to the time change by watching movies such as Eat Pray Love, The Social Network and Going the Distance.
During this time I was fed “dinner” which seemed comical as it was early morning for me and I was not interested a rice meal. It was really nice to travel with people that I knew. Although we did not sit together, I felt a little less anxious and more relaxed just knowing people were looking out for me who knows the ropes.





Hong Kong:

I managed to sleep for about 7 hours that flight and arrived a little tired at 6 am Sunday morning (their time) in Hong Kong. I lost half a day traveling across the world. It was not sunny in HK although I could faintly see mountain outlines in the distance and the water. My first impression of my first taste of Asia was the airport.

HK airport is clean and new with the most expensive shops. For breakfast I had wunton soup (shrimp and pork dumplings) with noodles and broth. This was a little weird as I felt like it was dinner time although it was morning. I have always loved Asian food so this did not seem to weird or foreign for me, except that all the signs had Chinese first and then English underneath.
Some Interesting Snacks


KL
The flight from HK to KL was a little delayed but it was not bad. About a 4 hour flight and it was beautiful from my window seat looking at the mountains covered in pretty green trees and flowing rivers.

When I arrived in Malaysia I instantly felt relaxed. At 30 degrees, how could I not?  I am now relaxing in my friend's room and looking outside at the palm trees and green grass. Strange to think 2 days ago I was surrounded by snow. I will be staying here for the next 4 days with my family friends and I are really grateful to have them help smooth the transition and help me get set up in my new surroundings.
I am very happy to be here and to start my Asian adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Look at this blog! good job! and you did it all your self... Keep it up. I look forward to following your adventure.

    ReplyDelete