Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Friday and Saturday

FRIDAY

At 10 am there was an exchange orientation for all new students. I learned that the school's exchange program has drastically changed in demographics over the years. It is now heavily NAmerican students. The USA has 60 students, Canada 55 and then Sweden with 35 and then various other places. We learnt all about how the school works and other academic matters. My favorite part was that they acknowledged that most students will be traveling but to please at least try to attend some classes.

Clearly I am the most pale but I hadnt traveled before like they did.

From UWO there are lot of students. I am lucky enough to have 3 close friends - C J and M. I think that there are about 14 people from UWO mostly or all from FIMs (the faculty of information and media studies).

I met all my friends and got so many peoples numbers and Facebook I felt like it was first year again. I also forgot that some people of different cultures kiss on the cheek and some handshake so it was very entertaining. I especially love all the European exchangers accents in English. We all decided that we would go to a big Singapore exchange student event at CLUB SOUL. 

We pre-drank for the bar (as alchol is soooooo expensive here especially in Clarke Quay). Then had a great night of dancing and meeting all the exchange students at NUS,NMU and NTU.



Some of us exchangers on the bridge

Our new closest girl friends are from the states (seen in this pic are from the states)

SATURDAY
My friends and I explored campus a little but got lost trying to find the pool. When we arrived we were sad to learn it was closed for a kaying race. Then we decided to do some "errands" and shop for things for our res room as well as just relax and see a movie. We saw Burlesque with Christina Aquilera. Movies here you get reserved seating and I got yummy half sweet half salty popcorn. I also got some interesting candy. We pay for the MRT (mass rapid transport) usually to get around but at night or sometimes it is more efficent to simply cab. The island only takes an hour really to get across so it is never too much money.

Here are some other pics of downtown Singapore.

 Me on orchard road with all the high class shopping

Some Pringles flavors include -seaweed, grilled shrimp 

Some yummy candy


 Jesse's photo: but a great drink here that makes me laugh.

A typical canteen (cafeteria) lunch or dinner. This is bbq chicken. The food here is taking some getting used to but there is a lot of variety. I am still figuring out what I like and do not like.

 My friends in their res hall's canteen (struggling to decide what to eat they had an unadventurous diet of diet cokes, fruit and yogurt). The next day however, we found waffles and some pasta so things are getting better for those who are struggling adjusting to an all asian diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment