Monday, January 31, 2011

Ladies Night

In Singapore Wednesday nights are considered "Ladies Night" at most bars and clubs. The majority of exchange students choose to go out this night of the week because women can drink for free. This is much different than the typical $10 (or more) mixed drink at the bar any other night.

  
I live on the west(left) side of the island

Alcohol is very expensive in Singapore, so this past Wednesday a big group of us decided to go out (guys and girls). We met up before in residence and then cabbed downtown. The club we went to, Attica is one of Singapore's nicest or most popular clubs. Attica is right downtown in Clarke Quay (it is the trendy district of shops and restaurants just upstream of the Singapore river). It is very nice and therefore expensive. 

I live on the far west coast so although the island is small it is still a distance to go "downtown."

The shops & restaurants at night
 

In Clarke Quay there is this bar called "The Clinic"where people order drinks in wheelchairs and are served their alcohol in IV bags. Pretty crazy but awesome!!! I snuck a quick photo in one of the chairs.

  
Can you believe you get served your drinks in a IV bag with a straw hose. Wild!

Once inside club Attica I noticed that there was a lot of females (obviously) but also great music and free drinks. Needless to say it was a great night.
 Ladies drink for free -how awesome is that!?!
Here is a photo of the "ladies" I went out with and our free champagne. The 6 of us (4 Canadians and 2 Americans) have come to be a pretty close group. We have lots of fun out together at the bars. As my friend K taught me "YOLO"- standing for "you only live once" as the cool, new slang word/verb/expression that her sorority friends say. I am definitely going to start using it!

Singapore Lifestyle
My friends and I managed to befriend the manager of Attica and he invited us to have our own booth free of charge beside some very wealthy Euro and local people. Although this wasn't the bottle of vodka we were given, it was at the booth beside us and I think it is the biggest amount of alcohol I have ever seen! To put this in context, at the 7 eleven downtown a 1 ounce bottle (yes that is the size of the freebie you get attached to your 26 ounce bottle at the LCBO in Canada) costs $11. Therefore the huge bottle that I was holding in the club would would cost who knows how much!

The next morning (Thursday) we had a lot of class. I don't know just how well my friends retained information. See the photo below for how they waited in between classes and before our pick-me-up of Subway for lunch. [Yes, we give into Western food, there is a McDonalds and Subway on campus]

No comments:

Post a Comment